PRACE Scientific and Industrial Conference
From 29 to 31 May 2018, PRACE will organise the fifth edition of its Scientific and Industrial Conference – PRACEdays18 – under the motto HPC for Innovation: when Science meets Industry in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
The conference will bring together experts from academia and industry who will present their advancements in HPC-supported science and engineering. PRACEdays18 forms the central event of the European HPC Summit Week 2018.
Call for Posters
PRACE invites you to present the results of your research or innovation in a poster.
Submissions should take the form of an extended abstract (one page), detailing the novelty or originality of the science or research project and the need for HPC to accomplish the results. The forward-looking achievements should demonstrate scientific discoveries, innovation in industry or address society’s grand challenges.
The number of selected posters will depend on their scientific excellence. Applicants selected for a poster will receive a free conference pass. Travel and accommodation will not be reimbursed. The standard conference fee is € 60,-
PRACE supports the Women in HPC initiative (http://www.womeninhpc.org.uk/) which works towards equal representation in High Performance Computing. The Scientific Steering Committee and Industrial Advisory Committee of PRACE encourage female researchers and scientists to submit their contribution to both the Call for Contributions and the Call for Posters.
Applicants are invited to send in contributions from scientific or industrial domains that use HPC. Examples are (in alphabetical order):
- Aeronautics / Aerospace
- Automotive / Transport
- Energy / Renewable Energy
- Engineering / Manufacturing / SMEs
- Environmental Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Material Sciences
- Particle Physics
- Plasma Physics
- Oil & Gas
- Telecommunications / Electronics
The domain should be clearly indicated on the submission. If several domains apply, the main one should be indicated, with the secondary domain(s) in brackets.
The Call for Contributions is now closed, no further submissions will be accepted.
Submissions should include:
- A meaningful title for your contribution.
- The details of the author and co-authors: Name and contact details, photo and a brief CV/biography of the (main) author especially his/her current position and area of interest. Please note that the CV/biography should be short (about ¼ page in minimum 12 point font type).
- The main domain and possible sub-domains to which the presentation pertains.
The one-page abstract should include:
- A description of the novelty / originality of the science/research project.
- A description of the need for HPC / how HPC was instrumental in obtaining the results.
- A forward-looking statement demonstrating scientific discoveries, innovation in industry or addressing society’s grand challenges.
Please do not forget to indicate on the submission form if you wish to run for the PRACE Award for Best Poster or the PRACE Award for Best Student Poster.
For examples see http://www.prace-ri.eu/pracedays17-posters.
Submissions as well as the resulting posters should be tailored to a wide audience, using layperson’s terms and examples where possible.
The selection process took longer as expected. Therefore all applicants, whether successful or not, will be notified of the outcome of the Call in begin of by 31 January 2018. Successful applicants need to send a high-resolution PDF by 3 March 2018 for printing or bring their poster with them printed in colour on A1 sized paper.
Criteria for selection
The PRACE Conference Programme Committee, consisting of members of the PRACE Scientific Steering Committee (SSC) and the PRACE Industrial Advisory Committee (IAC) will review all submissions with the goal of selecting excellent posters across as wide a range of scientific and industrial domains as possible.
Submissions will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Novelty / originality of the science/research project.
- The need for HPC to accomplish the results and the way this is highlighted.
- The forward-looking achievements in scientific discoveries or in innovation in industry that should lead to solutions for society’s grand challenges.
PRACE Awards for Best Poster & Best Student Poster
The PRACE Awards for Best Poster & Best Student Poster will not be awarded in 2018.
In co-operation with the author, PRACE will publish the abstracts of the selected posters on the conference webpage of the PRACE website (http://www.prace-ri.eu/pracedays18) together with a photo and details of the presenter (name, institution, country, short biography). An example of how this is done can be found here: http://www.prace-ri.eu/pracedays17-posters