The registration to this course will open in March. Please, bring your own laptop. All the PATC courses at BSC are free of charge.
Course convener: Filippo Mantovani
- Get a comprehensive view of the architecture of the heterogeneous ARM-based platforms deployed in the framework of the Mont-Blanc project, including ARM multicore clusters based on mobile and server technology.
- Understand the basic concepts of architectural simulations (TaskSim and Gem5)
- Introduce the MUlti-scale Simulation Architecture, developed within Mont-Blanc 3 for the simulation of next-generation HPC architectures.
- Study and test simple cases of architectural simulations
Topics: High performance computer architecture - The architecture of several ARM-based HPC platforms, deployed and tested during the last four years of research and development within the Mont-Blanc projects will be presented.
Tools for architectural simulation: A complete software stack for performing architectural simulations at scale of thousand of cores will be made available.
Benchmarks and applications analysis – Tracing and architectural parameter study of benchmarks and small applications running on innovative ARM-based platforms will be possible.
Learning Outcomes: Understand how ARM multicore and ARM+GPU clusters work. Work with some example codes, compiling, debugging and executing trough system queues.
Get a global view of the machines with their specific configuration (Operating system, batch system, debuggers, compilers, how to access to the machines, how to use the resources, etc)
Target Group: Standard HPC users, some knowledge of multicore and GPU-accelerated systems is desirable, but not required.
Level: INTERMEDIATE: for participants with some theoretical and practical knowledge (All courses are designed for specialists with at least 1st cycle degree)
Requirements: Standard HPC users, with some knowledge in ARM CPU/GPU architecture (recommended, but not required).
Day 1 / 9:30am - 5:30pm: (3h lectures with 5 min breaks on the hour)
Session 1 (2h):
- The Mont-Blanc Project
- ARM based machines: Architecture Overview
Session 2 (1h + 1h hands-on):
- Simulating ARM based machines (TaskSim and Gem5) (1:30h)
- Lunch Break (13:00 to 14:00)
Session 3 (1h + 1h hands-on ):
Simulation at scale: the MUltiscale Simulation Architecture (MUSA), performance and power evaluation of next generation large ARM based systems for scientific computing
END of COURSE
For further details and practical info such as local transport and venue please visit the local course pages for PATC@BSC: http://www.bsc.es/patc