This training will present basic elements first to enable developpers to understand when and how to use a debugger, and second to optimize the performance of their codes.
- A short introduction to debugging with examples
- Basics (stripping, IOs, getting the calculations out of the loops, changing the algorithm, ...)
- Compiler options
- Vectorization - Data access (cache usage maximization)
- OpenMP parallelization strategies
- Theory to upper-bound the expected performance benefit (speedup, efficiency, peak, memory bandwidth, ...)
Half of the course will be made of hands-on sessions. The hands-on will use the https://github.com/aff3ct/MIPP library
- Bertrand Cirou
- Mathieu Cloirec
- Cédric Jourdain
Ability to understand the main issues for code optimization, knowledge of the main tools and techniques for basic debugging.
Basic knowledge of Unix, programming experience in C++, OpenMP
More info about Cines: http://www.cines.fr/?lang=en
How to get to Cines, list of hotels: http://www.cines.fr/contact/?lang=en
Registration for all Prace training course is free.
If you have any questions, please consult the course forum page or click on the contact link on the left to send an email to the local organisers.